The following is an article from the November 2020 issue of "Get Your Ducks in a Row" Carolina Family Estate Planning's Free Newsletter. You can read the rest of the issue, as well as back issues of our newsletter online at www.carolinafep.com/library/newsletters/ or subscribe for free at www.carolinafep.com/newsletter.cfm
10 Tips For Family Caregivers
- Ask for support from other caregivers. Learning that others have had similar experiences can be an enormous relief.
- The good you can do for your loved one is dependent on how well you take care of your own health.
- If someone offers help, take it. Be specific with suggestions of the things people can do to help you. Accepting help is not a sign of weakness.
- Take some respite time, caregiving is hard work.
- Watch out for signs of stress, anger, and frustration in yourself. Ask for help if you think you suffer from depression.
- Seek training and get help from new technologies. It’ll make to take care of your loved one a lot easier.
- Learn how to communicate effectively with doctors so you can better advocate for your loved one.
- Organize medical information so it can be updated and easy to access.
- Plan early for the present and future needs of your loved one. An Elder Law attorney experienced in long-term care planning can help you.
- Give yourself credit for doing the best you can in one of the toughest jobs there is!